Tuesday 23 January 2007

Five things you never wanted to know ...

I've been tagged by both Patrick at Bifurcated Carrots and Greenmantle to post up five things about myself that I haven't mentioned on my blog(s) before, so here goes:

1. I'm one-sixteenth Indian, my great-great grandmother having come here from Madras in about 1860. My great-great-grandfather met her while serving with the British army in India and brought her back to his home town of Clacton-on-Sea. What it must have been like for her as an Asian immigrant at that time is difficult to imagine.

2. I have had an intense irrational fear of wells (and other water-filled holes in the ground) all my life and even now have occasional problems with plug-holes in sinks.

3. My earliest memory was waking up in the night to find a figure standing next to my cot, glowing with a pale blue colour in the dark. I couldn't see its face but I did touch its gown, which was feathery and soft. And no I don't have any theories about who or what it was.

4. My biological clock has no batteries. When I was five and I told people I didn't ever want kids, they would give a knowing wink and say "ah, you'll change your mind when you're older". Now I'm 38 people have finally stopped saying it.

5. During my 20s I was a very keen theatre actress (though I was repeatedly turned down at singing auditions) and the role I most enjoyed playing was a suicidal scuba-diver. They even built a real swimming pool full of water on the stage for me to fling myself into. Funnily enough the theatre itself was converted from a Victorian swimming pool – the stage was built over the deep end and if you went down one of the trapdoors you could still see all the lovely old tiles under there.

The deal is that I now have to similarly tag five more blogs. Only trouble is, almost all the blogs I regularly visit have already been pounced on, so I'm having to settle for three for the moment:


I Need Orange

Windywillow

Epileptic Gibbon (music and film reviews)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebsie

Great to read your posts again!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogging world!

I need orange said...

I can't think what life must have been like for your Indian great-grandmother. I surely hope that her neighbors were kind.....

Ya got me -- I did my five. :-)

-- Vicki in Michigan

Greenmantle said...

Good to see you back about again Rebsie!

Have always had a hankering for a Kirpi too.

GM
Visit my new blog at www.newquotidian.blogspot.com

Rebsie Fairholm said...

Thank you all for the kind welcome back! It's appreciated. My absence has been partly down to the hassles at the end of last year and partly good stuff as the music continues to go well (and I'm making the most of the fallow winter months to get my songwriting and recording done). It's nice to know I haven't been forgotten!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Eeks! You tagged me! And so long ago too. Where have I been??
So sorry I haven't been around, it's been forever! I guess I'll have to do my 5 now, hm?